Alford Manor House
Alford Manor House was given to the town by Dorothy Higgins, whose Grandfather had once lived there. In 1967 Alford Civic Trust was formed with the aim of preserving the House, and it is now owned by Alford and District Civic Trust Ltd., a Registered Charity No. 252330.
Alford Manor House is a Grade II listed Building, and we think it could be one of England's largest thatched Manor Houses.
Recent research by a York University archaeological team has dated the House to 1611. We now also know that the building was erected from the start as a timber and masonry structure. There is now no question of it having been a mud and stud house.
For many years the Craft Market has held special weekends - Spring and August Bank Holiday in the Manor House grounds.