|Well Vale near Alford|
Well Vale is on the edge of the Wolds near Alford.
Going down Miles-Cross-Hill from Ulceby Cross on the A1104, Well is on the right.
The House is a three storey, seven bay, red brick house with a hipped roof and dormer windows. It was thought to have been redesigned in the 1720's. The house looks over a three lakes and is in line with the church of St. Margaret's which is situated on the hill to the west.
The church was built in 1773 and has a temple-like appearance with four Tuscan columns carrying a large eaves. Inside it is unusual to find the altar at the the west end of the building. There is a three teir pulpit, box pews and a gallery. The stucco work ceiling is thought to be 18th. Century.
|>>>> back to History Index|